; Plisherrific: Success and Failures - LA Colors French White, Orly Orange Punch, Bys Bright Pink

Apr 19, 2012

Success and Failures - LA Colors French White, Orly Orange Punch, Bys Bright Pink

I totally forgot about my Thursday post until pretty late, so let's make this a quickie!

I read about dry water marbling from Cathy at More Nail Polish, and I just had to try it out!

[Base: LA Colors French White
Dry Water Marble: LA Colors French White, Orly Orange Punch, Bys Bright Pink]
So this is my first attempt at dry water marbling! The thing is...I haven't tried water marbling before, because it seemed like such a mess, so that's why I was willing to give the dry version a shot. This is a random mix of patterns, because I still haven't mastered the ability to create even patterns before the nail polish dries in a complete clump.


[Base: LA Colors French White
Dry Water Marble: LA Colors French White, Orly Orange Punch, Bys Bright Pink] 
I won't go into the method since far more skilled people have covered those. But I will mention some mistakes I did. When tearing off the plastic, bits of nail polish had come off and one big piece stuck to the nail on my ring finger. You can see the random orange piece there. It just would not come off, oh dear. So I think I should have tried harder to be neat about the whole thing.

I still have a long way to go when it comes to dry water marbling, because here's my second attempt at it.

[LA Colors French White, Mode Glamazon, Essence Viva La Green]
How is my second attempt so much worse than my first attempt? Sad, sad, sad. For one thing, the pattern was way too big. The second thing was that the layer of polish was too thin. It chipped so badly at the edges when I removed the plastic, and then bubbled weirdly after that. The third, unexpected problem was that purple polish ran when I applied a top coat. I had to share this sad failure, though looking at the picture does make me cringe!

So have you guys tried dry water marbling? Do you have any tips to stop the layer of nail polish chipping at the edges when the plastic is being peeled off or how to add lots of colours into the water and still be able to make a pattern before the mix of polish dry up?

11 comments:

  1. I do agree that your first attempt was best out of 2 but they both look pretty good as a first timer =D. I haven't tried water/dry marbling yet, mostly because I'll just make a huge mess and give up lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was happy with the way the first one turned out, but the second one was quite a disappointment. Water marbling sounds really messy but dry water marbling isn't too bad to me. :)

      Delete
  2. The first attempt looks amazing, but I'm absolutely in love with the colors you used in the second attempt. I haven't tried marbling at all yet, looking forward to trying it after viewing this!! (: Love the blog btw, mind checking out mine? http://sgnails.blogspot.com.au/

    Once again, LOVE the colors, your index finger on the second attempt kinda reminds me of school paper, not sure why! (:

    ~Shaina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the purple, teal, white combo too, and am rather disappointed it didn't turn out right! You should try marbling! :D I'm following your blog now, btw~

      Delete
  3. I'm not an expert, but from my scant experience:

    To stop the layer of nail polish chipping - carefully cut the plastic into pieces just slightly bigger than your nail, then the whole sheet of nail polish should just all come off, and you can get rid of the excess using acetone or a nail file.

    How to add lots of colours into the water - use longer-drying nail polish ;) That's the only way I've found, unfortunately... China Glazes tend to work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, tips! The first attempt, I was able to remove the whole sheet like you mentioned, but the second attempt was too thin to do so. :( But perhaps the second tip will solve that, since I can add more colours and polish so that the sheets will be thicker, as long as they don't dry too fast!

      Delete
  4. I think that first one is amazing! Even the stray bit of orange looks like it belongs there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! As a first timer who has never heard of marbling (at least in relation to nails), they both look really good to me!! I suppose even patterns would be a sign of consistent technique or something but if you're going for wow factor, they already have it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rosanne, that makes me happy to hear of course, even if it didn't come out exactly as I wanted to. :P This method really is quite impressive...if done right!

      Delete
  6. I must say I like the orange one better as well!

    ReplyDelete